Thursday, May 10, 2012

Home

So while Caylinn was in the hospital they had diagnosed her with Haemopholous inlfuenza Spinal meningitis type F and thrush. She was on the antibiotics for 10 days, 20 doses for the infection and she had 5 days of the treatment for thrush. she went from only laying in her bed and dazing off to laying in bed and playing peek-a-book with mom and dad. her favorite thing to do on the last two days of being in the hospital was to go for rides in the wagon. She loved being free. she sat up most of the time in the wagon but also was able to lay down if she needed to. she was elated to go home after 12 days in the hospital with Dr.'s, nurses, and techs poking and prodding at her 24/7! We got home from the hospital on Friday, May 04, 2012. A week ago tomorrow. It is great to be home but I will say it has it's challenges too. I often found myself fretting over Caylinn because she was fussy or maybe a little warm. I would say a prayer and almost instantaneously she would be okay. The first few nights she slept in her pack-n-play bassinet downstairs with me. She was so used to having us right by her bedside in the hospital. I wanted her to transition on her own- and knew she would in her own time. She is now sleeping back in her own bed at her normal times. I knew she would get there and I am proud of her. she is still having anxiety around people and places. She has become the mamma's girl and has her mamma wrapped around her tiny little fingers. Even dad has a hard time getting her to come to him- which is hard for him to accept- he loves her dearly. IT makes it hard for me too, because when I do take a break I know she is screaming and throwing a full on tantrum for her dad- which makes me feel guilty for taking a break. Cyle has now shown symptoms of all this traumatic experience and we are working on giving him the extra positive attention and love he is in need of right now. It is a challenge- but the Lord is helping us to be more sensitive to our children's needs at this time- which is a really neat experience. Caylinn has now seen her speech therapist and her physical therapist. Speech therapists seems to agree with us that her speech and language skills seems to have gotten better, not worse and that she has not regressed at all since all this has happened. Physical therapy is back into full throttle. She is pretty much right back at where she was at 6 month old. this is heart breaking as a parent. especially since she was just weaning off of physical therapy and doing so well. we know and hold on to the fact that she will get back to where she was with time. Caylinn can sit by her self with close monitoring for about 30-45 minutes and then she tires out. she gets frustrated because she wants to do everything she used to do but doesn't have the strength and confidence for it. This is what 2 weeks of laying down and being knocked out by an infection will do to you. she has started to crawl a little bit but is still having a hard time holding her head up. when she does tire her head is the first thing to hit and so we are going to pursue getting her a helmet to help prevent any head injuries on the road to recovery for her. She will also be getting a walker to help support her in learning how to walk again. honestly, she has taken some huge steps back but nothing that wouldn't be expected and nothing that can't be helped. we are feeling so blessed that the infection didn't take a worse toll on her then it did. we try to stay as positive as we can and are finding that often times we hear things, read things, or are told things by friends and family when we need it the most. In our weak moments when fear, doubt, and worry fill our minds we have found our strength through inspired words. Please, if you are prompted to say something, share something, call us, e-mail us, etc...please listen to your prompting and know that you are one of the Lord's messengers. We love you all so much and really appreciate all the love, support, concerns, help, service, fasting,and prayers you have offered in our behalf- we can only say thank you but know that it is an understatement for the gratitude we have for you!

2 comments:

  1. I think that you are right...that it could have had worse outcomes. But I am so glad to know that she is doing so well! (I am sure it is due to her sweet family, who the Lord knew she would need here on this earth). I am sure that it is frustrating as a mother/parent to see your child reverse in direction and how big of a change that was all the way to 6 months, but looking on the bright side if you didn't get to document the firsts the first time around...look at it as a second chance! Love you and wish i could give you all big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joy... Kind of randomly (or maybe not randomly) I've been thinking about you on and off for several weeks and since I hadn't looked at your newer blog yet, I finally decided to see how you were doing...I just finished reading "Embraced by The Light" by Betty J. Eadie and it was wonderful and beautiful and has changed my life and outlook on things. When I read what you said: "if you are prompted to say something, share something, call us, e-mail us, etc..." I thought of that book. maybe I thought of it because it's so fresh in my mind, or maybe the thought was a spiritual prompt...I don't know. But it wouldn't hurt to share anyway, right?
    I hope your sweet little daughter is doing better and I'll be praying for your family. :)
    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete